Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson

Reviewed by Aileen


Imagine your once smiling and care-free teacher telling the whole class to sit down and announcing that she’s not going to be able to make it to the end of the year. What would you do? How would you feel? Would you be sad? Well, what three boys do for their teacher in Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson might be a little bit different than what you might do. 

In this heartwarming yet sad story, Topher, Brand, and Steve’s teacher, Ms. Bixby tells her class that she has cancer, and unfortunately, gets hospitalized five days before her farewell party. Because the three boys want to make their teacher’s final days the most memorable, they go on a journey to find their teacher’s favorite things: McDonald’s fries with extra salt, white-chocolate raspberry supreme cheesecake from Michelle’s, and Jack Daniel’s whiskey, to give to her. However, during their journey, the trio faces many obstacles and problems.

One of the reasons I enjoyed reading this book is because the ending made my heart feel warm inside. When Ms. Bixby says thank you and waves good-bye to Topher, Brand, and Steve, it made me feel happy, for the boys can finally meet their teacher after hearing that she had to leave unexpectedly. However, it’s still a bit sad because it may be their last time seeing her. This scene makes me a bit teary but still hopeful.  

Another intriguing part of this book is the description. Because the author, John David Anderson, was so descriptive in his writing, it made me feel like I was actually in the book. One example was when the book described the cheesecake as “soft, raspberry colored goo.” When I read this, I imagined the whole scene and the pink colored cheesecake in my head.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rank this 10/10 because it has everything I look for in a book. It’s descriptive, well-written, and pulls you into the story. Looking for a mellow and fun book to read over the weekend? Then, go to Amazon.com and buy Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson!


Walden Pond Press, 300 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment