Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The New Girl Code by Niki Smit

Reviewed by Manalee



“I’m just a filler (BFF=Best Filler Friend) until her forever comes. And now that we’re almost sophomores, we’re one year closer to forever-or at least real life after high school, “ says Charlie, the female protagonist in The New Girl Code by Niki Smit. Charlie grapples with the troubles of high school, and she feels invisible and mediocre next to her best friend.

Charlie is a sophomore in high school, and she lives in Brooklyn. Charlie is a typical high school girl, but because of her name, most people think she is a boy. The protagonist tries to transform herself into something cool but then realizes she should try to find out who she really is. She ends up finding code. In the beginning, she knows inside that she wants a career in technology, but the pressure to fit in with the rest of the high school girls prevents her from joining the coding club. Code completes her, and Charlie eventually finds her identity. She wants to make a fashion app inspired by her best friend and surprise her with it. There are many ups and downs though while she’s making this app, and this is just one of the many conflicts that Charlie has in her life.

I loved this book because it really encourages feminism. This book shows that girls can do anything, and young people too. Charlie learns she doesn’t have to do the usual things you do in high school. She doesn’t need to have a boyfriend, and she doesn’t need to transform herself into a cool high school girl. “I always felt like I needed a metamorphosis, a change. But now I realize I never needed to change-I needed to embrace the real me, “ Charlie says.

The second reason why this book appealed to me is because it is relatable. A lot of the time Charlie is going through feelings that we’ve all been through like jealousy, sadness, and anger. When I was reading the book, I almost felt like I was Charlie, and that was my life. I was immersed in this book, and I couldn’t put it down until I was at the end.

Honestly, I think that children and teenagers should read this book. Girls should read this and get inspired, while boys should read this book to encourage their sisters or mothers or aunts to go after their dreams. I would rate this book a 10/10, and I think that this book will help inspire new generations of women in technology. I hope you’ll go and check this book out at your local library, or buy it on Amazon after reading this book review!


JW Avenue B.V., 197 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment