Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Girl Detective by R.A Spratt

Reviewed by Kira Tully


If you were to win $50,000, what would you do with it? Buy a year’s worth of candy? Purchase a pet? Or would you spend it as wisely as an 11 year-old? Girl Detective by R.A Spratt is about Friday Barnes, an intelligent young detective who cracks cases one by one.

In the book, Girl Detective by R.A Spratt, Friday Barnes’ Uncle, known as “Uncle Bernie,” who is also a detective, needs to crack a bank robbery case as Friday begs to tag along when he goes to visit the bank scene. When Friday arrives, she quickly cracks Uncle Bernie’s case by using impeccable techniques Friday has learned. As a reward, Mr. Fredricks, the bank owner, awards Friday a whopping $50,000 as a thanks. Friday doesn’t have to think for a second, knowing how she will spend the money, as she wants to send herself to the finest and most educational boarding school in the country, known as Highcrest Academy. But little does Friday know how peculiar Highcrest Academy really is.

One reason I enjoyed reading this book is because if you are like me, I liked the suspense. I love books with suspense because it makes me feel eager to solve the mystery. I also tend to be very impatient and I just want to see what happens next. An example of suspense in this book is when Friday solves who took the Headmaster’s expensive clock just by looking at the fibers in the carpet. I thought this was extraordinary!

The second reason I liked this book is because I love the characters. Personally, my favorite character is Melanie Pelly because she is always helping Friday, and I think she is really funny. One of my favorite quotes that Melanie says is, “You should trust in fate to lead you to your clothes.” I thought this was really hilarious because Friday’s clothes are far out in the swamp, and she is trying to find them as Melanie is blurting out unhelpful comments.

Girl Detective by R.A Spratt is the first book in the series, and the best mystery book I have ever read! I would definitely rate it a 10/10. Without a doubt, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy funny, mysterious books. Feeling bored with your current books? Go check out Girl Detective! 


Macmillan Publishers, 255 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment